We’ve been told only too often that we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. But, hey, we’re living in the real world, where first impressions make the best impressions. With so many excellent online casinos available out there, sites have to give you a very good reason to open an account and play on their platform for real money.
This is where the welcome bonus comes in. This is YOUR golden handshake from the casino and what a great welcome it is!
Online casinos usually reward new or existing players with bonuses in the form of free casino cash, free spins and more. The welcome bonus is considered the most lucrative, generous and appealing type of bonus. The online casino wants to make sure that you jump at the opportunity to open an account and tries to make it worth your while. There’s nothing wrong with that!
A welcome bonus is also often known as a New Player Bonuses, New Deposit Bonuses, Sign Up Bonuses and by a variety of other names. At times, the welcome bonus will be part of a greater Welcome Package which incorporates a number of bonuses that are spread across your first few deposits. Some welcome packages also include other perks such as extra loyalty points, free spins, lower wagering requirements and more.
Want to find the best welcome bonuses to start your gambling journey? At Casino Midnight we have got you covered! Here you will find the most updated information about the finest offers currently available at the best online casinos in the business.
Understanding How a Welcome Bonus Works
New to the gambling world? Confused a bit? Don’t worry, we get that you may find the concept of bonuses a little overwhelming. Not only does each site has its own offerings, but each bonus also has its own terms and conditions.
Let’s try and explain to you how a welcome bonus works so that you gain a better understanding of things.
First off, it’s important to note that you don’t have to redeem a welcome offer in order to play at the online casino. However, if you do decide to, it is important that you read the terms and conditions carefully so that you understand exactly what is expected of you.
Because a welcome bonus can come in all shapes and sizes, there isn’t a single explanation which tells you how they all work. Here it is in a nutshell.
- Registering an account: This may seem very obvious but you will need to sign up to the online casino by entering your personal details before you can claim any type of bonus.
- The Welcome Bonus Code: Check to see if the welcome bonus has a code that has to be added in order for you to get the bonus. Check to see where and when the code has to be added (before making your deposit; in a specific field, etc.). Not all welcome bonuses require a code. If you’re not sure, don’t be shy to ask customer support.
- What do you need to do to trigger the bonus? If we take the most popular form of welcome bonus as an example, you will need to make a real money deposit into your newly opened casino account in order to get the welcome bonus. The amount you need to deposit and the size of the bonus will differ from site to site.
Illustrating the welcome bonus example:
- Casino XYZ is offering new players a 100% welcome bonus on their first deposit.
- The bonus is offered as a 100% bonus up to $100.
- This means that the new player can make a deposit up to $100 and have that amount matched by 100%. In this case, the casino will credit the player’s account with an extra $100, giving them a total of $200 to play with.
- If the player deposits $50, the casino matches it with another $50, and so forth.
- Playing the casino games: Once you have bonus funds in your account, you can use them to play the many games at the casino for real money. See below regarding restrictions.
- Withdraw the winnings: You can use your transferred funds and bonus funds to win real money at the casino. If you want to withdraw your winnings, you can visit the casino’s Cashier or Banking page and request to do so. Restrictions also apply to the withdrawal process – see below.
Welcome Bonus Terms & Conditions
There are tons of terms and conditions associated with a welcome bonus. Make sure you read them all before accepting otherwise you might find your lose out. Check out some of these basic terms and conditions but also read the actual small print at the casino.
- Eligibility: In general, a welcome bonus is available to newcomers at an online casino who have never had an account at that particular site before.
- Wagering (Playthrough) requirements: This is the number of times the deposit plus the bonus amount have to be wagered before the bonus is released and the winnings can be withdrawn. The conditions will vary from site to site, but usually average between 20 – 50 times. In the bonus terms and conditions, you will see this reflected as, for example, ‘wagering requirement 40 x’.
If a bonus of $300 has a 20 x wagering requirement, you have to place a total of $6000 worth of bets (ie. 20 x $300) before you can withdraw the bonus.
- Restricted games: Not all games are created equally. A casino usually places different percentages on specific games so that they don’t all count equally towards the wagering restrictions of the welcome bonus. Games such as Roulette and Blackjack will most likely not count at all, while others such as Keno count up to 100%.
Q: Can I get free spins with my welcome bonus?
A: Yes! While most welcome bonuses are in the form of a financial or monetary reward, some online casinos may also throw in free spins to make the offer more lucrative!
Q: What are bonus wagering requirements?
A: These are the terms and conditions governing the casino bonus. These terms specify things such as how much you need to deposit to qualify for the bonus, how many times you need to wager the bonus funds over before you can withdraw your winnings and how quickly you have to spend the bonus cash. Let’s just call it the fine print of the bonus offer. Read them carefully to avoid any unnecessary surprises.
Q: Do I have to redeem a casino bonus?
A: No, not necessarily. Not everyone is cut out for a casino bonus. Some players don’t want to commit themselves to the wagering requirements, while others like to play on their own terms without having their money tied up. You can opt out of a welcome bonus.
Q: What is a casino bonus code?
A: This is a special code (a string of letters and/or numbers) that essentially unlocks the bonus offer. You need to put the code into a specific field, usually before you make your deposit, to trigger the bonus. Not all welcome bonuses need a bonus code to become activated.